Wednesday, July 13, 2011

About to start masters program and I can't find a job!?

I'm 22 years old and I graduated with a B.S. in Biology in May. I got accepted into a Masters program in Philadelphia and I've been looking for work in the city since I found out about the acceptance in late April. Granted, I'm only 2 months into my job search but I MUST find employment because the program doesn't offer any assistance except for loans, which will just barely cover tuition if i take out the max, forget food and a place to live. I've applied to every lab technician, research assistant and healthcare administrative assistant job in Philly but only had 1 interview so far and didn't get the job (they interviewed 20+ candidates). Competition seems fierce but I don't know if I should apply in a different field entirely and if they would even hire me. Should I start applying in shoe stores/clothing stores/starbucks and other "regular" jobs that don't require my degree? Since its scientific I think I'd be off the radar for other positions. I start school in August so I'm running out of time. Do I ride out the biology storm or get an unrelated job until I earn my Masters???

No comments:

Post a Comment